Tuesday, May 21, 2013

An Exercise in Exercise

Good evening. Let's talk about fitness. And about my lack of it.

Despite being a drummer in two bands (one's been inactive for a bit; kicking it back up in early June), you'd think I'd sweat off enough pounds to keep myself somewhat fit. Well, it hasn't been the case for some time now. I've ballooned to a weight that I can't believe. A little background....

In school, I was almost always the runt. Part of that was because I skipped kindergarten and started first grade at age five, making me a year younger than my classmates all the way through school. On top of that, I was always skin and bones. When I graduated high school, I was around 6' 1" and 140 lbs. With change in my pockets.

Over the years, eating has finally caught up with me. I topped 200 a few years ago, and I don't even want to say where I am now. Some of that weight gain did happen when I began weightlifting, around late-1994. But a lot of it just got piled on through my outrageous sweets habit; it's a wonder I've never been diagnosed with diabetes.

Having long ago discarded going to a gym regularly, I've kept a weight bench and recumbent exercise bike since 2001, and I've used them off and on. Probably more off than on, but I have used them. They seldom have clothes piled on them. But after having my physical a couple of weeks ago (and other than slightly high cholesterol, checking out pretty well), I've decided to take more drastic measures. The weight bench is okay, but I miss working some things other than my chest (moobs) and quads. I've just ordered a Bowflex Blaze.

Waldo, everybody's favorite Hole in the Wall bartender back in the nineties, used to talk about Bowflex pretty religiously. After fifteen years or so, I'm taking his advice.

I figure my eating habits aren't going to change that much, but I can reduce the quantities of some things. More regular exercise, on a machine that's easier to use, should help. Well, I hope it will. This thing has a rowing device on it for cardio, but I'm keeping my exercise bike nearby anyway. Should be room for it all.

The Bowflex is due to arrive next Tuesday, and I'll spend that evening putting it together. Then it's time to start reshaping. Okay, back to movies and music and fun crap...

No comments:

Post a Comment