Monday, January 25, 2016

Star of Texas Tattoo Art Revival 2016

Breaking up the monotony of constant movie reviews (!!!), I'll write about what took up this last weekend...namely, the annual Star of Texas Tattoo Art Revival. A good friend of mine has put this on for the last 14 years, and I've done work for her from the beginning.....starting with the web site. I continue to update the web site, sometimes create advertising and promotional video, and as of a few years ago, I've graduated to full-on event announcer and stage manager for the entertainment. Or stage wrangler.

This year's convention went very, very smoothly. It was moved to the Austin Convention Center for the second time. The last few years, the event's been at the Long Center, but beginning in 2014, it was moved to the Convention Center due to a booking conflict. Last year, it was back at the Long Center, but this year, it returned to the Convention Center. Next year? Yep, back to the Long Center. I hope the audience isn't too lost by the ping-ponging. One attendee this year did tell me she mistakenly went to the Long Center first.

This is a job I really love, but it's hard work. And I'm not just saying that because I'm 54. It's not the physicality involved....which isn't much. But it is a mental strain to try to remember each year what to take care of, especially when you don't do it all the time. It's like driving once a year, and when that time rolls around annually, trying to remember the order of steps: put key in ignition, turn ignition, let car warm, etc. Plus, as far as entertainment goes, I'm usually the artist, on the opposite end of the relationship. So on top of making some scratch, it's good to do this and keep in mind what all stage crew goes through for the sake of a smooth performance.

We had familiar faces as entertainment: my wife Michelle Manx, Jigglewatts Burlesque (Ruby Joule, Ruby Lamb, Something Blue, and Dana DeLuna), Brass Ovaries (different ladies this time), and the Lizard Man Experience (Lizard Man, Joel, and Mossy). I'm getting used to dealing with all of them and pretty much know what their needs are....although Michelle and I did have to scramble to get some extra equipment for LME.

Announcing the tattoo contests is something that I really enjoy now but can't say I did so much in the beginning. Our fearless leader has a lot of faith in me, and the first time I announced the contests, she pretty much stuck a mic in my hand and said "go to it!" I'm getting better but still have a long way to go. It's the kind of position where you want to throw in some witty banter to keep people entertained while they await their turn at the contests, but you don't want to overdo it and turn it into "your show." Luckily, this year, Aaron, who took photos of all the contestants' pieces, kept me entertained and laughing throughout. Suzy Homewrecker, pinup model, etc. hands out the trophies, and she keeps me company, too.

This year, I didn't do a TV commercial for the event as a sort of experiment, but I think we'll do one next year. Or at least a promo video for YouTube, Facebook, etc. And there are a couple of other ideas I want to try.

Yay. I'm tired. Maybe I'll watch a movie. Oh wait, I have rehearsal in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment