Sunday, June 30, 2019

Continuation of the Continuation, March/April update

(Tying in with whatever is posted above this one....I completely forgot to finish this post, so here it is- a couple of months after it was written.)

Okay, let's see, where was I? Oh yes, the next week was SXSW. I had a rather smooth schedule this year, in that I had four shows four nights in a row. Not bad. No four-show Saturdays, or anything like that.

The only tricky one was the first one, a Wednesday show at the Key Bar for Pocket FishRmen. The Key Bar is on West 6th in Austin, a couple of blocks down from Hut's...that area. The show was backlined, but I knew there would be no way to park anywhere close to the bar for any reasonable cost. I was considering either Ubering it there from my house or even parking at the Ben White/S. Lamar Target and Ubering from there. Michelle was working until about 7:30, so I knew I could probably get a ride from her after we were done.  As I was still considering options, Smitty called and asked if he could stop by our house on his way in from San Antonio and shave. What luck! I told him my dilemma, and he said "oh, I'll drop you off there." Perfect. Transportation would be a breeze.

And so, Wednesday's Pocket FishRmen was not only rockin' but an easy one to maneuver, after all. Whew. We had a couple of weird gaffes during the show that are not typical of us, but the rest was great. Woody Wiedemann put the show on, using promotional money from Brooklyn Brewery to pay for all of us. It was a little like Woody putting on a show in his outdoor patio living room. We Are The Asteroid, The Crackpipes, and All Monsters Attack were on the bill as well. The whole thing was tons o' fun. I felt bad having to leave as Pong were setting up, but Michelle pulled up and I had to load and go.

Thursday night's show was Pocket FishRmen at the Nomad, the annual Whoopsy! party. There was a backline at this show as well, so all went pretty smoothly. PF followed both Pure Luck and a Swedish duo called Shit Kid, who had toured with the Melvins in Europe. We had a pretty good crowd, and frankly, whenever the FishRmen play two days in a row, we peel paint that second show. This was no exception. The band will probably never tour, but if we did, I think we'd blow some doors off hinges. I really believe that. Too bad we won't, I suppose.

Friday night's show was the Hickoids at ABGB's, an annual one for us. The rest of the bill was Churchwood, Harvey McLaughlin, and the Sloths. As opposed to the weakish turnout the Pocket FishRmen had last time we played there (competition was strong), the crowd was much more robust and stayed the entire time for this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment