Monday, August 19, 2019

Hickoids / HMT 2019 Tour Sunday, August 4

The day's journey into rockdom of course begins with a three-hour (this time) journey from Atlantic City. These drives quickly became a drag. Especially for ol' Drummer McBadleg here. Between at least 5-6 hours in the van daily, along with the crappy food one finds along I-95...I was not in a good place. That's when some, let's say "irregularity," began. It had actually begun the night before when I had quite a painful "session." Quote marks aren't going to help this, are they? This issue of non-expellation would continue into Spain. But hey, it's not all bad stuff, back to the regular rock-and-roll life...

The club in Washington D.C. was called the Black Cat, was pretty nice overall, and expertly run. There was a large room in the back of the building that we had to carry gear through (after lifting the gear up on a freight elevator), but the smaller front room was really great, and crisply air conditioned. All the staff were extremely helpful, although we did have to pretty much run our own sound.

The big bonus this night was that the Harvey McLaughlin Trio was going to play! And we ran off all 10 we had in grand fashion. Well, you've read how much I enjoy playing in this configuration. Fun, or "Ffun," as ConFunkShun would spell it.

The Hickoids set went well enough, with a nice smattering of folks there to see us. The door was being run as "donation admission," perhaps due to it being a Sunday. I don't recall anything great or awful about this show, so I'm betting it was okay.

Maybe one thing I should mention is that due to the eye procedure I had in mid-July, I've been wearing protective racquetball-style glasses when I play, although I often forget to put them on before the first song. They were recommended by the eye surgeon; I'm complying. But one side effect I'm having is that as the inside of the glasses gets sweaty, my vision becomes tripendicular, dude. Like to the point of the snare drum looking like it's flipping while I play. Kind of funny, for sure, and not as distracting as one might think. At least I'm taking it that way.

After this show, we had the additional duty of picking up Max in Annapolis, as he was taking his van and equipment back after the Monday show in Brooklyn. Max was staying with us tonight. So we picked him up, and then headed to.....(sigh).....Atlantic City.

My "trouble" continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment