Sunday, October 20, 2019

Hickoids / HMT 2019 Tour Tuesday, August 13

And so, the parting happened. Michelle had wanted to spend some time in Madrid, going to museums and whatnot. She had a couple of nights reserved at a Madrid hotel near the Prado museum, and we needed to get her to the train station and headed that way. Flover was a huge help in this endeavor, talking an anxious Michelle in what to do, steps to take, etc. Once she got there, of course, everything was fine, and her hotel was near everything she wanted to do.

We headed on to Santander, which was the next stop on the Spanish Road. Santander is on the northern coast of Spain, in Basque country, and has a beach feel to it, for sure. We were staying at a vacation rental place a substantial walk from the beach. And we were all in one room. But this wasn't as bad as I'd feared, all seven of us in one place. A couple of folks slept in the van that night, and I confess to it being the only night I did not shower while on tour. But I'm getting ahead of things....

The show in Santander was at a place called Rock-Beer TheNew (sic).


As with many places in Spain in August, it had been closed for a couple of weeks but opened for our gig. And it turned out they had used the closure time to rebuild their stage and revamp their sound system. The stage was almost ready when we got there, and a little more work cemented its readiness. The sound system was another story. It had a long way to go, and unfortunately, after we were on stage and ready to go, it still had a way to go. Seriously, we were on stage about 45 minutes before we could actually start the show proper. It got pretty funny to me after awhile, but once we got cranking, we were fine. I felt bad for the club staff and the owner (whose name escapes me, but he was a great guy); they were trying any and every thing they could to get things going. It all worked out fine. I thought the gig went well, although memories are short on this one, for some reason....other than the long wait at the beginning.

Back to the vacation rental. Somehow, despite the aforementioned cramming of us all into one rental, I had a room to myself. Still not sure how that happened. I think the others think I need my space, due to the CPAP machine. That's really not true; I just need room for the machine, and an electrical outlet, and that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment