Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tattoo Emcee and FishRmen

Hello! Long time no type to. Well, it's been an ultra-busy time.

The Star of Texas Tattoo Art Revival was this last weekend. I was the official announcer for the event as well as announcer for the tattoo contests and stage manager/announcer/sound guy for all the entertainment. Which I think means I was part of the entertainment as well. Mostly it ran smoothly; nobody wants to be "especially entertaining" when they're only supposed to be crew.

There were burlesque acts--the Jigglewatts and Ruby Rockit--and my wife Michelle Manx performed her special hybrid pin-up bellydance. The LizardMan performed, and he brought a friend, Joel (last name escapes me), to open for him. In between all this, I made regular and irregular announcements to the large tattoo floor (Palmer Auditorium) and kept the stuff in the "entertainment room" running. Meaning the contests and the aforementioned acts. This included setting up and striking lights, tables, PA gear and the like. I was one tired papa by Sunday night.

Announcing the tattoo contests was odd but fun. I keep thinking of things we need to do to make each year better. At least my between-contestants rap is getting better. I wish I had the cojones to try stand-up. Maybe I should just do it with a kick, snare and cymbal in front of me. That might help my confidence. Or at least get some use from the cocktail kit that's sat in the garage since using it with Black Eyed Vermillion.

Well, no rest for this dog. Pocket FishRmen are playing this Friday at the Hole in the Wall. I'm kind of proud of this one, as it's the first show I've set up in a very long time. Haven't been the point guy for awhile as I keep joining bands rather than starting 'em. Whenever Billy Lotion actually begins, I'll get a real taste of it, I suppose.

Speaking of Pocket FishRmen, here's a video for "Big Blue Ball" I created a while back. Not the greatest, but hey, live and learn. At least, it's amusing. And I really like the song.....this is Brant at his most winsome.




No comments:

Post a Comment