Sunday, January 13, 2013

History Lesson...to the Present

Music. Where would we be without it? Well, probably even more aggravated by daily life than ever, but that's a moot point.

Lately, and by that I mean in the last ten years or so, I've found myself drifting back to my "roots," as it were. And by those roots, I mean two genres that most folks I play in bands with hate: jazz and prog rock. But I feel like I investigated an awful lot that other forms of music had to offer, and most times, it felt empty to me. Playing music itself is a whole different ball game; I can play almost any type of music and have a good time. And that's a good thing, else I'd be home on Saturday evening a lot.

Let's face it, most times the music you like has a lot to do with your current lifestyle or your formative years. My formative years were almost nothing but jazz, mostly swing but some bebop as well. Thanks to a Charlie Parker record my dad listened to frequently, I discovered Max Roach, who became my guiding light into drumming. He was the first drummer I really noticed on any recording, and his style fascinated me. I HAD to do that. At that time, I was learning saxophone, trumpet and clarinet, but the drums were what I wanted to sit behind. And I would, beginning in 1974.

By then, I had discovered pop and rock music and became more interested in playing those styles. The first song I learned to play on the drums was (believe it or not) Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough." Simon Kirke was a simple-enough drummer to emulate in the beginning. Later, like many rockists, I discovered John Bonham and Ian Paice, and I was off and running. Paice, in particular, appealed to me....he obviously loved jazz, too.

Much later still, I ended up playing in bands that were borne out of the whole punk-DIY ethos. That part of "punk" I liked a lot and still carry that "I wanna do what I wanna do" freedom into what I play now. But punk as a music form always left me pretty cold; although it is charming to hear bands grow from "we can barely play" roots into something formidable. But the whole "three chords and the truth" thing has me snoozing in no time flat.

What's this have to do with anything? Why is he rambling? Believe me, he doesn't know either, except to bring up what I've been listening to lately. Of course, Frank Zappa will always be in the mix. But lately, it's Steven Wilson's stuff released under his own name. He has a new album coming out soon that is the first imminent album release to have me truly excited in a very long while. Wilson is the frontman of Porcupine Tree and several other projects....and a few years ago, he began doing things under his own name. Both "Insurgentes" and "Grace For Drowning" are oft-listens for me. Fantastic drumming as well, for you fellow tub thumpers. This song is going to be on the next album and is featured on Wilson's DVD release "Get All You Deserve." It's simply incredible.


If you would have told me in 1983 that one of my favorite things to witness in 2012 featured the bass player from Kajagoogoo, I would have said......well, I'm not sure.

I'm tired now....am I learning to write yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment