Sunday, March 25, 2018

Facebook Sucks!

Facebook sucks!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's begin. Well, Facebook doesn't really suck; actually, it's a pretty effective, well-designed tool for getting people connected. But then people take over. Is it people who suck, then? I don't subscribe to that philosophy, either. People are just people, for better or worse. Although many times social networking tools like Facebook bring out the worst traits in people. And for this writing, I'm leaving out the recent Cambridge Analytica revelation. That really has little to do with my subject, as intended.

I got on Facebook, as many did, almost ten years ago. It's been nice to re-connect with some long-lost people, see what some friends I don't see often are up to, and watch folks' kids grow up. That last phrase is a particular reminder of not only one's own mortality, but of how much total time can be wasted on Facebook. ("Wait, that's Bobby? Wasn't he just a little tot the other day? How the hell did that happen? Let me get on Geneva's page and look through her photos again! The lawn can wait....")

These days, I use Facebook for three purposes: to promote band activity (as one must do, to try to boost show attendance), to write something that might make someone in Peoria laugh (rare), and to add the odd photo of my wife and I doing something interesting (not as rare). Other than that, I really have no use for it. Most times, I get on it when I receive a notification that interests me, and that's not even that often. While I'll admit to clicking on the occasional article someone might post that might have interest for me, I get most of my news through researching news sites I trust to be impartial. I do like to see what my musician friends are doing; hell, I might even go see one of them play when I have a night off! That alone keeps me from unfollowing the more "armchair politically active" amongst them.

You can tell a lot about a person by their Facebook use. The most socially desperate like to use it as the best "notice ME!" tool in the box. This person is the one who likes to tag people in their posts - a way of trying to force a response. And is that ever annoying, if I'm tagged. Jeebus! Even if I see it fairly soon after postage, I like to wait to respond. The poster deserves it. Tough Love Dept.: if you're that desperate to be connected with and listened to, you don't have enough to do in your life. Start reading or writing a book, compose a song, practice your instrument, look for a job (or a new job), educate yourself further....be productive! Don't waste your life (what you have left of it) looking for other people's validation of your activity.

A particular favorite of mine, and one that I don't see so much these days, is the "well, that sucked!" post. That's all it would say - words to that effect. And obviously baiting the response of "how are you?" or "are you okay??" or "put down the gun!" Speaking of social desperation, I like how there's a horror movie called "Unfriended," the DVD box cover of which has a video camera picture of a wailing teenager. I haven't seen the movie, but the image makes me laugh every time. This is where we're at in the 21st century. Can you imagine time traveling to the beginning of the 20th century and telling a hard-working farmer in the midwest about socially desperate folks on Facebook? The cultural divide of this new century makes more and more sense.

Another good one is the person who posts on Facebook about......how people's posts annoy him/her. Pretty rich. Everybody accepts the friend request of people they see on FB (or they've "friend requested" themselves). Maybe you need to pair down your "following" or "friending" a bit, if it truly bothers you that badly. Or maybe you just have a bit of a fascistic nature, and you want to control people's posting habits. That seems like a closer bet.

Ultimately, I'm a part of the whole game, too. I get that. Sometimes, I think....I should put my money where my mouth is and spend some time unfollowing everybody who annoys me on Facebook. But sometimes (and I mentioned this earlier), I might want to know about a musical event they're involved in. Maybe the person annoys me on FB but is a damned fine drummer or something. Hmm.....what to do? Well, probably nothing. I really don't read much on Facebook; I do a lot of skimming.

Here's my simplistic summary: I think Facebook (and other social media) are fine if used within reason. A little like doughnuts. Have one occasionally, but remember, you're not playing the fat Jake LaMotta next week. Slow down, sonny. Get something done.

Anybody still on Ello?

No comments:

Post a Comment