Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Tired, So Very Tired

And I've gotten enough sleep. This has nothing to do with that. I'm just tired. And overwhelmed. It feels like time for a big media break. Or break from media. Including all social media. I wouldn't be on most of them if it were not for having to help promote my bands. I have enough friends and am very lucky to have them. Friends I see and socialize with, it having nothing to do with what they saw me do on Facebook, etc.

Lately, I've been feeling fatigued and have been wondering why. I'm not THAT old. 56 isn't a spring chicken. But I'm in reasonably good health and have no real reason to feel pooped all the time. I usually chalk some of it up to allergies, and that may very well be the case, but I'm starting to think more and more that I just want a simpler life. Or at least live in a simpler environment. I can retire from my job at any point now, but I do make good money and get to work mostly from home. Hard to beat that.

Michelle and I have been to Costa Rica five times, and I've loved each time we've been. Most people, including us, who visit there remark on how the people are so positive and seemingly "full of life," regardless of the station they may hold. "Pura vida!" is the often-heard exclamation. And Costa Rica is indeed one place that couldn't care less about so many of the things that we Americans care about right now. As Groucho once said "break me off a piece of that."

I've been coasting for a very long time now in life. And that's not bad. I haven't had major life changes, illness, or anything of that stripe. I'm truly a lucky man. But sometimes I feel like reaching out for something else before it's too late. And between the constant "noise" of living in the USA, and a certain malaise that's crept into my life, I feel closer to taking that chance. A fresh start in a new country? Maybe. For a long time, Michelle hasn't wanted to live anywhere she was not well-versed in the native language. But she's starting to change her mind on that. I tell her that she'd pick up the language wherever we are soon enough. If it's Central America, Spanish is not that hard at all. And if it's Belize, well, the official language is English.

There are two sticking points to a USA exit. One is my mother is still around and going rather strong at 88. I suppose that could change rapidly, but she'd be pretty lost if I weren't somewhat nearby; I'm the only child, and she's become a hermit of sorts. The other is the two bands I'm in, which I do like playing in a lot. I'm probably the best drummer I've ever been right now. Not ready to give that up yet. Oh, what to do....

So, that's today's musing. Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment