Friday, March 30, 2018

Hickoids, The Mix - San Antonio, 3/28/2018

Hello and welcome to another "I played a gig" post. Last night (technically two nights ago, as I'm writing this after midnight the day after, or two days after....oh, whatever), the Hickoids played The Mix in San Antonio, warming the crowd up for Fang. The show managed to occur on the second night of some immense rain in San Antonio. My entire night was made when, as I pulled up to The Mix, I saw Jeff Smith walk out and save me a parking space right next to the front door. I love this man.

Our show went okay, although the sound was pretty weird onstage. The vocal mix was sadly lacking, on the stage and in the audience. Jeff's vocals frequently sounded ultra-distorted and mine were barely audible. Fang and the special surprise guest at the end, Natural Velvet, had the same issues. Maybe a better PA for The Mix someday? It was the first time we'd played there in roughly three years....maybe more....I'm not sure we had played there with Cody in the band yet. Decent crowd, though. They braved the rain, seemed to enjoy us and definitely rocked out to Fang. And Fang......man. It may be about three times as tired watching them as it was playing our own set. That band fires on all cylinders and does not let up. They're a textbook case of professionalism in punk rock, if that doesn't sound too weird. Each song led straight into the next. No one took a drink or tuned. No breaks. Wow. I was floored.

Natural Velvet, from Baltimore, was added to the bill at the end. They were on a tour, and Michelle and I had just seen them on Monday in Austin at the Sahara. Nice folks, good music, and a drummer whose style I loved.

That's it....I'm off to bed in a bit. Maybe write some more about other goings on tomorrow. Yeah, that's it......

No comments:

Post a Comment